Old September 11th, 2013, 07:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Default on the subject of airports..

Am Tue, 10 Sep 2013 18:43:32 +0200 schrieb Martin:

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 18:27:07 +0200, Josef Kleber
wrote:

So the british government gives a good advice to avoid trouble. In the
context of a law seminar, it's wrong!

Assuming the police have a reason to ask for ID the British government
is right. Even if the police do not have a reason to ask for ID they
will usually think of one.

What risk is bigger, having your pocket with the passport picked or being
asked for the passport by the police while it's safely in the safe at the
hotel room? If someone steals your passport it means definetely more
trouble than being taken to your room by the police. And chances are much
bigger (my wife got her wallet with ID picked once in a shop here in
Cologne, and my son got his walled with ID stolen on a train in England -
things like that happen quite often).

So if you stay at a hotel and you go out for a meal or a drink I would
strongly advice you keep the passport at the safe at your room. As I said,
chances are absolutely low that someone wants to see your papers (unless
you take part in some political demostration or end up in a fight at the
pub).

Regards,

Frank