Old August 29th, 2016, 07:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

Default Rhein cruises

On 8/28/16 1:57 PM, Erilar wrote:
Martin wrote:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 16:10:51 -0500, Erilar wrote:

Looking for suggestions. I've been playing around with river cruise
websites, for a future(2018?)trip with a friend who does not speak German
along the river I know best, but she is a much better walker than I am.
Viking requires everyone to pay in advance for all their hikes(aka
"walks"), so they're off my list automatically. I've found several that
seem to race from Amsterdam to somewhere in Switzerland or vice versa,
stopping briefly in the wrong places. I'd really prefer one that covered
less river unless part of it was also along the Mosel. Beginning or ending
in Köln, Koblenz, or Mainz(or Frankfurt) would be even better. If
excursions were wheeled, it wouldn't matter if they were in German, because
I could translate for her, but if much walking is involved, they'd have to
be in English so she could go without me. I'd like suggestions of lines I
may have missed.
Note: I could be the tour guide if I could hike the way I could a few
years ago 8-/

I've done it by travelling with KD and staying in small hotels overnight.
http://www.kdrhine.com/
How can anybody charge you for a hike?

Viking requires all excursions be paid for along with the cruise price. It
took a mess of emailing to get all the details. There is no provision for
non- hikers.

Are these guided hikes or hikes on your own at scheduled free time at
ports of call during the cruise?

The commercials make it seem like you get to see more of the cities than
you would on a regular cruise.

Well if you really want to see the cities, why not stay in some of them
for a few days each?