Old August 29th, 2016, 07:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

Default Rhein cruises

On 8/29/16 2:26 AM, tim... wrote:

"Happy.Hobo" wrote in message
On 08-27-2016 16:10, Erilar wrote:
Looking for suggestions. I've been playing around with river cruise
websites, for a future(2018?)trip with a friend who does not speak
German
along the river I know best, but she is a much better walker than I am.
Viking requires everyone to pay in advance for all their hikes(aka
"walks"), so they're off my list automatically. I've found several that

I'd bicycle from port to port rather than pay cruise prices. And I'll
get there before my friends on ship.

Unfortunately a large amount of the "value" of a cruise is seen to be
the on board activities and they are timed, and priced accordingly

Personally, I don't see any value in that at all, and as soon as someone
starts up cruises where the focus is on the on-shore attractions with no
need to pay for on board activities that I have no interest in, I will
sign up

but on the odd occasion when companies have tried that approach, they
have failed to be profitable

tim

Some people have rationalized cruises, not river cruises, as being
cheaper if you consider that cost of accommodations and transportation
over a similar period, not to mention the included meals.

And those onboard activities sound hellish, forced participation in
activities when presumably your main interest is to tour the cities.

Not to mention, in this day and age, being cut off from Internet,
phones, etc. for swaths of time?