Old August 29th, 2016, 09:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default Rhein cruises

tim... wrote:

"Happy.Hobo" wrote in message
On 08-27-2016 16:10, Erilar wrote:
Looking for suggestions. I've been playing around with river cruise
websites, for a future(2018?)trip with a friend who does not speak German
along the river I know best, but she is a much better walker than I am.
Viking requires everyone to pay in advance for all their hikes(aka
"walks"), so they're off my list automatically. I've found several that

I'd bicycle from port to port rather than pay cruise prices. And I'll get
there before my friends on ship.

Unfortunately a large amount of the "value" of a cruise is seen to be the on
board activities and they are timed, and priced accordingly

Personally, I don't see any value in that at all, and as soon as someone
starts up cruises where the focus is on the on-shore attractions with no
need to pay for on board activities that I have no interest in, I will sign
up

but on the odd occasion when companies have tried that approach, they have
failed to be profitable

tim

Actually, I have taken a couple river cruises--one German, another an
English company-- that did NOT require prepaid required excursions, though
one COULD book and pay for them in advance. Both stopped in a number of
places for the excursions I did not join where I could just go ashore and
entertain myself at a pace I could set myself. I would like to find
something similar along the Rhein and possibly a bit of Mosel.

--
biblioholic medievalist via iPad