Old June 4th, 2012, 05:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Cruise Ships Financially Exploit Onshore Stores

On Wed, 30 May 2012 01:59:34 -0400, Bill
wrote:

On 5/29/2012 10:08 AM, wrote:

The greed is people wanting to buy stuff on the cheap. They are
trying to fool the vendor into giving them more than they are paying
for. If they weren't focused so much on getting a bargain, they
might think a little more about it.

It's not greed, it's good old fashioned bargain hunting and wanting to
get the best deal possible. And it's become more popular of late with
the problems with the economy.

It is greed. And the markets where people bargain and think they get
the better of the vendor - the vendor just lets them think that. If
the vendor did not make a profit, they wouldn't stay in business.

Old fashioned bargain hunting is going to yard sales or comparison
shopping. I don't believe that any stores in the cruise ship ports
are giving any kind of good deal if they have to pay the ship a
kickback, which they do.

If you enjoy walking into a store and paying the regular price on the
tag, more power to you. It's people like you who allow those of us who
are price conscious to save money.

I have to say up front that I do not like to shop. My husband is the
shopper in the family. I sometimes buy some small useful item (if
possible a local product) as a gift for family when I'm on a trip, but
most of my grandchildren are too old to be happy to get those kinds of
things now.

I also found in Cozumel specifically that the cruise ship recommended
stores had fixed prices but the stores on the back streets(which the
cruise ship shopper said were unsafe and no one should go there) were
willing to bargain.

I have also been in a bargaining situation at one of those flea
markets and asked the woman if I bought three of the items that $3.00
each, how much of a discount she could give me. She said she would
give me three for $12.00. I don't know if she thought I wouldn't have
enough fingers to figure out that $12 for three items would be $4.00
each or what.