Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:48 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Liz Leyden

Default Safari

In message
Hans-Georg Michna
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 18:39:59 -0000, the_niner_nation wrote:

Hi hans..I have a friend who recently visited Gujerat state ( in the north
west of India) and he reliably informed me that there are aisiatic lions in
the wild there , and rhino in another egion of india that I can't remember..

Thanks for confirming this. I had it only vaguely in memory.

I also remember that there was a discussion about introducing
some African lions to the Indian population to reduce the
effects of inbreeding, but on the other hand that would dilute
the genetic identity of the Indian lions, which differ a bit
from the African ones.

I know they're urgently doing captive breeding (of the Asiatic race)
with the hope of being able to return some to the wild: Edinburgh Zoo
is certainly involved in this. The breeding bit they've already
succeeded with, the more important bit has yet to come.

Slainte
Liz

--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos