Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_2_]

Default PCH (CA1) in March

If you were going to drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles during late
March where would you stop? I'm thinking of taking in Pinnacles as well.

My first thoughts were Day 1 drive to Monterrey
Day 2 day trip to Pinnacles returning to Monterrey for the night but I'm
wondering if staying night 1 in Soledad might be a better bet. We've been
to Monterrey before and done the 17 mile drive and the aquarium. We've
also been to Santa Cruz so on day 1 I was thinking of being pretty lazy and
just going 101 all the way to Soledad. If we spend night 1 in Soledad then
next day go to Pinnacles and then to Monterrey for the night.

Day 3 wander down the PCH to San Simeon. It seems to be about a 2 and a
half hour drive so we can do that in the morning, have lunch and then book a
Hearst Castle visit for the PM. Spend the night in San Simeon or move on
to San Luis Obispo?

Day 4 I was then thinking of a night in Santa Barbara before finishing in
Santa Monica on day 5 for a couple of nights before flying back to the UK.

So, all pretty relaxed. We're not gourmets or inclined to stay in really
upmarket places. Best Western is about our level.

I plan to visit Travel Town and the miniture railway in Griffith Park in Los
Angeles (even if Santa Monica isn't *the* most convnient location for that.

We'll pick the car up the day we leave San Francisco - Muni will do while we
are in the city.

Total trip time including time in San Francisco and Los Angeles is 11
nights.

Questions:

I'm tempted to stay around Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco. When we've
visited previously we've stayed with family in San Mateo/Foster City but we
fancy the city this time. I've seen adverts for B and B on some of the
boats moored in the wharf area - anyone ever used them? If we went for one
of the chain hotels down there anyone got preferences? Any other
suggestions?

Stopping places other than those I've outlined. We like
gardens/landscapes, hiking, railways (tourist/steam and modern and I already
know about the Roaring Camp and its' neighbour down to Santa Cruz), airplane
museums (is the one just south of Foster City still open? and I've been to
Moffett). I'm thinking maybe somewhere just to sit and contemplate the
ocean, or a short hike to the ocean. If anyone knows the Fish Market on
Norfolk in San Mateo are there any places like that en route?