Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

Default PCH (CA1) in March

In article ,
Graham Harrison wrote:
If you were going to drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles during late
March where would you stop? I'm thinking of taking in Pinnacles as well.

OK.
Pinnacles can be nice. I used to go climbing there(better rock else
where). Depends what you want to see and do.

My first thoughts were Day 1 drive to Monterey

OK. Avoid 1 and 101 rush hour from where ever you start in SF.
It's not a long drive.

Day 2 day trip to Pinnacles returning to Monterrey for the night but I'm
wondering if staying night 1 in Soledad might be a better bet.

Not many motels in Soledad. Those that are there are there for a reason
(visitors for the near by infamous prison).

We've been
to Monterrey before and done the 17 mile drive and the aquarium. We've
also been to Santa Cruz so on day 1 I was thinking of being pretty lazy and
just going 101 all the way to Soledad. If we spend night 1 in Soledad then
next day go to Pinnacles and then to Monterrey for the night.

Consider the Steinbeck Center in Salinas. Maybe his home. Read up on
some of his works before hand. Realize that many of those personalities
still exist.

Many things to do in Monterey. And Carmel. Some require boats.

Day 3 wander down the PCH to San Simeon. It seems to be about a 2 and a
half hour drive so we can do that in the morning, have lunch and then book a
Hearst Castle visit for the PM. Spend the night in San Simeon or move on
to San Luis Obispo?

2.5 hours is optimistic unless you get up early. But I am not into that
kind of tourist place. I merely live here.

Day 4 I was then thinking of a night in Santa Barbara before finishing in
Santa Monica on day 5 for a couple of nights before flying back to the UK.

It all depends what you want to do here.

So, all pretty relaxed. We're not gourmets or inclined to stay in really
upmarket places. Best Western is about our level.

I plan to visit Travel Town and the miniture railway in Griffith Park in Los
Angeles (even if Santa Monica isn't *the* most convnient location for that.

The observatory is good after watching something like the start of
Terminator or the first episode of Mission: Impossible.

I'm tempted to stay around Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco. When we've
visited previously we've stayed with family in San Mateo/Foster City but we
fancy the city this time. I've seen adverts for B and B on some of the
boats moored in the wharf area - anyone ever used them? If we went for one
of the chain hotels down there anyone got preferences? Any other
suggestions?

Depends where you want to go on the ferries or tours. I've also had my
own boats. A meal on one might be fun. Sailing under the Golden Gate
in 10 foot swells is impressive on a small craft.

Stopping places other than those I've outlined. We like
gardens/landscapes, hiking, railways (tourist/steam and modern and I already
know about the Roaring Camp and its' neighbour down to Santa Cruz), airplane
museums (is the one just south of Foster City still open? and I've been to

Hiller: yes.
Moffett). I'm thinking maybe somewhere just to sit and contemplate the
ocean, or a short hike to the ocean. If anyone knows the Fish Market on
Norfolk in San Mateo are there any places like that en route?

The Fish Market is a chain and can be found else where.
There is also Hobbie Alder's Charthouse chain.
Douglas Adams fell in love with the Enterprise Fish Company in Santa
Barbara which appears in So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.

Also, Ventura and Channel Islands.
Rincon and surfing.

There is a PBS TV series titled California's Gold by Huell Howser which
has a web site with programs on small obscure historic bits of CA.
Howser has more than enough for 11 days.

Right now the big problem is the winter flooding hitting Santa Maria.