Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default PCH (CA1) in March

"Graham Harrison" wrote
in message ...
If you were going to drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles during late
March where would you stop? I'm thinking of taking in Pinnacles as
well.

My first thoughts were Day 1 drive to Monterrey
We've been to Monterey before and done the 17 mile drive and the
aquarium.

http://gocalif.ca.gov/region.php?key=central_coast

So how about Pacific Grove instead ... lots of nice B&B's on the water.
( they are not on the ocean side of street ( sheer drop) but across the
street - water VIEWS from some rooms)
Last time we stayed he
http://www.pginns.com/index.html
Very nice - comfortable - definitely NOT cheap.
or maybe he
http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/lodging.html

For cheap, I stay in Seaside ( next town to Monterey).
here 's a link I had saved:
http://maps.google.com/maps?near=211...&t=h&z=16&om=0

Across from Roberts Lake ( a big puddle) there is a Doubletree/Holiday
Inn/ Comfort Inn right off Highway 1 south . Eat at the Monterey Fish
House on Del Monte Ave- see past postings for recommendations by me and a
LOT of others. It used to be ' Bring your own alcohol' . ??
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...alifornia.html

Day 2 day trip to Pinnacles returning to Monterrey for the night but I'm
wondering if staying night 1 in Soledad might be a better bet.

Day 3 wander down the PCH to San Simeon. It seems to be about a 2 and
a half hour drive so we can do that in the morning, have lunch and then
book a Hearst Castle visit for the PM. Spend the night in San Simeon
or move on to San Luis Obispo?

There is a Best Western "Cavalier" across the street from San Simeon.
Excellent - on the water. Firepits out back to sit at night ( March will
be cool so cuddle). Excellent restaurant there - basic food - done very
well. AND... the apple pie is the BEST I have ever had (Trust me I know
my desserts... and I stop there every spring to get it) so save room for
dessert ( or get some to go). Reasonable prices. Can you tell so far - I
can tell you where to get a good meal ?!!!

Day 4 I was then thinking of a night in Santa Barbara before finishing
in Santa Monica on day 5 for a couple of nights before flying back to
the UK.

http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/3...tabarbara.html
Used to be a big Best Western on the water. Prices in that town can vary a
whole lot so check first.

So, all pretty relaxed. We're not gourmets or inclined to stay in
really upmarket places. Best Western is about our level.

I plan to visit Travel Town and the miniture railway in Griffith Park in
Los Angeles (even if Santa Monica isn't *the* most convnient location
for that.

We'll pick the car up the day we leave San Francisco - Muni will do
while we are in the city.

Total trip time including time in San Francisco and Los Angeles is 11
nights.

Questions:

I'm tempted to stay around Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco. When
we've visited previously we've stayed with family in San Mateo/Foster
City but we fancy the city this time. I've seen adverts for B and B on
some of the boats moored in the wharf area - anyone ever used them? If
we went for one of the chain hotels down there anyone got preferences?
Any other suggestions?

Do eat at Scoma's - on the water - very good seafood.
I've stayed at several hotel chains - each at end of wharf- down near
Ghiradelli's. Not cheap - average rooms. Nothing memorable.

Stopping places other than those I've outlined. We like
gardens/landscapes, hiking, railways (tourist/steam and modern and I
already know about the Roaring Camp and its' neighbour down to Santa
Cruz), airplane museums (is the one just south of Foster City still
open? and I've been to Moffett). I'm thinking maybe somewhere just to
sit and contemplate the ocean, or a short hike to the ocean. If anyone
knows the Fish Market on Norfolk in San Mateo are there any places like
that en route?

Not familiar with Norfolk, but just south of Carmel . as Hwy 1 bends to
the left, there is a hotel up a sharp -turn driveway .. nice place to
watch the sunset. Then back to your hotel . NEXT day start the Big Sur
drive.

On the way to San Simeone, stop at Nepenthe on the right hand side of Hwy
one for lunch/drinks. As with Pebble Beach, if EARLY in day, views will be
foggy, so ask at hotel .. how long to get there ? ... you want to arrive
at 12 noon or a bit later and on a clear ( brisk) day, sit outside and
have a coffee/drink/lunch. Enjot the views. ( I think it use to be owned
by Orson Wells ).

In general,
http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/3.../2006/sanfran/
http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/3...tabarbara.html
pick your city from left column for "things to not miss". Notes are inthe
right column.
Also note - some of the articles ARE dated, so check before making
concrete plans.
I have a lot of area travel books that I bought at national bookstores ..
look there for more specific ideas.

Bobb