Old September 3rd, 2015, 04:25 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

Default Flying Labor Day on Standby

1. The lowest price I found won't tell me when the flights are until I pay for the ticket. That's a pretty rotten
system. Why do they do that?

Sounds like Hotwire. Airlines are willing to release some cheap seats
but they don't want to undercut their published fares so they do the
"opaque" thing. The tickets are real, they're on the usual airlines.

2. Instead of $442, the lowest price I see for flights with times, there is one for about half of that if you fly on
standby.

That sounds like a scam, since nobody sells standby tickets to the
public. Where did you see it?

3. Any other options besides the flights I see at, fore example Expedia.com? I'm sure there is no magic here, but I
figured it could not hurt to ask. I simply can't afford $442 regardless of the reasons to go. Thanks.

Southwest only sells tickets on its own web site, but I looked at some
fares for SFO/OAK/SJC - LAX/BUR and they're no cheaper.

Spirit airlines has some tix OAK-LAX for $343, but remember on Spirit
everything costs extra, in particular luggage.

If you have the time, Amtrak has some tix left at $122 or $62 each eay
between Oakland and L.A. Megabus has lots of seats between S.F. and
L.A. for $50 each way or less.