Old August 18th, 2011, 04:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Neal Plotkin[_2_]

Default Citibank chip-and-pin cards

In article ,
James Silverton wrote:

On 8/17/2011 9:30 AM, Neal Plotkin wrote:
In ,
James wrote:

This reminds me that the topic of abolishing the dollar bill in the US
has arisen again with the repeated suggestion that the Treasury should
do as in Canada and abolish the bills. What is not recognized is that
very large number of Americans do not like coins at all and don't carry
them except for use in older parking meters. Quite often, any change
gathered during the day is deposited in a jar and periodically taken to
the bank for counting and deposit. I usually find that I deposit 30 or
40 dollars a month.

What's your source for the "very large number of Americans" who don't
like coins?

Personal observation but family and friends especially.

I question your statistical sample. I see people using coins every day
for small purchases, and I agree with Erilar that it's much easier to
use coins than bills in machines that take money.

And my personal observation is that when I travel in Canada or Euro-zone
countries, dealing with 1- and 2-dollar or -euro coins instead of bills
is slightly more convenient -- it's easier to fish coins out of my
pocket than take out my wallet and then take bills out.

--
Neal Plotkin