Old December 28th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Ka Khiong Kwok

Amen really.

Thing is though, it's a positive for the region that they never felt that
such facilities were needed in the first place.
My line of thinking runs that you only need such facilities - such as in
inner city areas where crime is a problem. Bit of an over generalization I
know but it's the point.

Now I'm only speaking about Thailand here. My experience as a tourist has
been pretty positive.

This is really an act of God - in my current line of work, you learn that
there's nothing you can do in these instances. All you can do is damage
minimisation really.

Regards,

Ka.

"Yamamoto" wrote in message
"Ka Khiong Kwok" wrote in message
| GIven the lack of medical facilities in those regions, I hate to say it
but
| it might skyrocket.

I didn't want to use the harsh words you use in your reply, but it's the
truth.

They are simple not equipped to handle such a disaster.

Sunday morning, when the first casualties started to be braught into the
hospital in Phuket, there was only 1 physician available who was able to
cope with such casualties according to posts in other NG's.

On the other hand, given the amount of people being wounded or dead and

the
equiment
they have to handle such disasters, I must say that they have done a great
job.

Regards,

Carlos

| I'm hoping MSF turns up there soon - their needed in that region more

then
| anywhere else now.
|
| Regards,
|
| Ka.
|
| "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| "JosephP" wrote in message
| . ..
| | Reading the news headlines the tragedy gets worse and worse as the
| numbers
| | go from 4000, 8000 ... 15000 and rising, mostly in Indonesia, India,
and
| Sri
| | Lanka
|
| The latest count at CNN at midnight today is more than 22000 people
dead.
| But that amount is still going up.
| And how many people will die in the following days due to their
injuries?

| Regards,
|
| Carlos

| |
| | "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| | "JosephP" wrote in message
| | news | |
| | Joseph,
| |
| | I don't take any sides on the fact that a warning system could

have
| saved
| | (many) lives or not, but I want simply to add some points ino this
| | discussion.
| |
| | 1. Many people have died on the roads in Phuket after the first
tidal
| wave
| | when they tried to escape to higher places. Giving a warning that

| | dangerous situation is going to happen without the proper
coordination
| can
| | cause more harm that good.
| |
| | 2. I was barely a month ago in Phuket, Phi-Phi Island's and Krabi.
| | Nobody can protect himself for a tidal wave like the one

occured
| | yesterday, with waves reaching 5 meter in height and a tremendeous
| force
| | as
| | I have watched today in the news.
| |
| | For instance, take the case of Phi-Phi Island. An island, barely a
few
| | miles
| | of superficy, and almost flat with almost no roads to the higher
| places.
| | Only if people had a shelter to hide into, they were able to

protect
| | themselves from the disaster. But most people sleep in their boat

or
| | tuk-tuk
| | as they cannot afford more, and Thailand has no shelters to

protect
| them
| | from such disasters. In Thaivisa.com people describes how the sea
was
| | taking
| | their children out of their arms.
| |
| | The time between the Earthquake and the tidal moves was too short

| start
| | evacuate all this humans.
| |
| | Putting-up a system to prevent from such disasters without
setting-up
| at
| | the
| | same time shelters and other protection systems, is like "putting
the
| | chickens in a fox hole to shelter".
| |
| | My deepest sincere feelings goes in the first place to all the
people
| who
| | lost his live in this disaster and the people who lost their only
| meaning
| | if
| | life.
| |