Old February 8th, 2010, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
blackbat

Default New England ideas

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:40:12 +0000 (UTC), Joe Makowiec
wrote:

If you're going to have a car (I was working on the assumption that you
wanted transit, but maybe I'm wrong?), the Lake George/Lake Placid area
in New York might be interesting. You're within about a 5-hour circle of
New York, Montréal and Boston. Within about an hour is Manchester
Center, Vermont, which has outlet shopping and several art galleries. In
two hours or so are baseball and basketball halls of fame, a number of
art galleries if you like such, historic sites for several US presidents.

Both area have, as you might guess, lakes and water recreation; you
should be able to find self-catering in both areas.

http://www.visitlakegeorge.com/
http://www.lakeplacid.com/

Thanks for your replies, you've been most helpful.

The thought of visiting Montreal, NY and Boston in the same holiday is
very tempting. Trouble is, what seems feasible when sitting at home
planning a vacation seems more complicated when actually there.
Sometimes I'm guilty of trying to do too much in one holiday and as a
result the holiday seems somewhat hectic.

Lake George with a day trip to NY and Montreal seems favourite at this
stage though.

Or just Burlington and Montreal.

I will indeed have a car but I'm not sure I like the idea of driving
for hours on end and trying to find somewhere to park in a large city.
I guess we would need overnight stays in the cities, wouldn't want to
drive for an 11 hours round trip in one day, for example.
That would increase the cost by a significant margin though.
Shame about Amtrak...when travelling in England / France / Spain /
Italy etc it would nearly always be quicker to take a train.

BTW - any issues crossing the border en-route to Montreal?
--

blackbat /\x/\