Old November 11th, 2003, 12:39 AM
Deep Freud Moors

Default rec.travel.europe FAQ

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:57:08 +0000, Reid
wrote:

Following up to Deep Freud Moors

Is this still the feeling? I have been pondering as to using them
to improve my website.

Well, Javascript is just fine, but Java, (which is of course something
completely different) is slow, cumbersome, and just plain crappy IMO.
Generally speaking, err on the side of simplicity when building web
stuff.

Here's something that I did just with Javascript and a bunch of
images. Nothing too spectacular...
http://www.geocities.com/deepfloydmars/

That's rather neat, all your kids? You have been busy.

Nope, not mine! No room for kids in my life at the moment. Still have
quite a few years left for that. Too busy being happily self-absorbed
at the moment!

(there are a couple of missing images BTW)
I reckon I would be able to do it easily with babes rather than
babies, I have a photographic memory in that area!

I don't think there are any missing images. It's possible a couple had
not loaded properly when you started clicking around. I never did get
around to polishing it up, coz I had other things on the go at the
time. It was purely to learn Javascript for another project.

What are you wanting to do exactly?

This is a good question, people seem to jazz up websites because
they can, not because they have an objective. I use javascript to
build my email address upon request, to avoid spammers.

That would be this bit:

script LANGUAGE="Javascript"
username="fromweb"
at="@"
domainname="fellwalk.co.uk"
document.write("font color=\"#FFFFFF\"font size=+2")
document.write("font face=\"Arial,Helvetica\"pb")
document.write("A
HREF=\"mailto:"+username+at+domainname+"?Subject=F rom%20web:%20"+"\"Send
email/a")
/script

As I don't have a default mailer, this doesn't work for me. I just get
an error message instead! Isn't web programming fun? ;o)

I currently display a photo slide show with animated GIFs, I
might be nicer if I had fading transitions and the user could
click on the current image and go to it. I suspect javascript can
achieve this.

Yes, you certainly can. You need to create the gifs appropriately, and
use Javascript to handle the clicking, mouse-overing and changing of
the images. There are plenty of free gif animators around, so you only
really need time and creativity. The testing process is the real acid
test...

"http://www.fellwalk.co.uk/p_home.htm"
I set the page up because someone asked to buy some photos out of
the blue, I set up a sales page, enquiries to date.........0!
Early days though.

Yeah, I hear you. As you probably guessed, I have put precisely bugger
all effort into my site, not even bothering to host it properly. There
is not even an index page. One of these days I might grab a proper
domain name, and create a combined travel / bicycle / chocolate /
surfing / bushwalking / artwork site, but until then, all the funds
are getting spent on wandering the globe...
---
DFM