Old August 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM posted to rec.travel.misc,sci.space.policy,alt.politics
BradGuth

Default How to get yourself a vacation on another WORLD !!!

On Aug 2, 5:08*am, Sylvia Else wrote:
giveitawhirl2008 wrote:
Previously, I proposed the gov't sell seats on upcoming Moon and Mars
missions. Since I'm also trying to gather support for high-speed
exploration of the Outer Planets - Saturn's worlds, etc. - selling
seats on missions to Titan, etc. was also proposed. Here is a proposal
that might let YOU get to go for FREE!

First, BTW, while not trying to encourage gambling, I've also proposed
Lottos with a space trip as a prize. Actually, I suspect such Lottos
will not do well unless their are big CASH prizes, also. That way
people are motivated to play even if they think they might ultimately
be too chicken to go into space. Nothing is more attractive than just
plain old MONEY. You could win a big cash prize AND a space trip, and
if you freak about the trip just before signing the contract with its
"death and dismemberment" clauses, etc., you could be allowed to GIVE
the trip part to any qualifiable person of your choice.

But here's the main idea: the gov't could SELL some seats for millions
and maybe even billions of dollars. But any citizen of any country
participating in the exploration program could enter a lottery for
FREE, simply by registering online. One entry per citizen; you must
qualifiable to be trained as an astronaut, a la Russian tourist trips
to the ISS. Some seats will be filled by people who just win drawings!
All drawings controlled by the governments involved, of course. That
way, no gambling but public interest might be very strong!

So the Billionaires and the Commons all have a chance!

This could encourage people to join this effort to have the government
fund the human solar system exploration program!

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.s...thread/thread/...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...hread/thread/6...

How many people would actually want to go once they realised it involved
* years spent without enough room to swing a cat?

I think I'll wait until fusion rockets have been developed.

Sylvia.

Start off with giving the most paraplegic or physically dysfunctionals
a shot at it, because they obviously can't "swing a cat" as is.

~ BG