Old December 3rd, 2003, 07:30 PM
Keith M

Default Barcelona drive - Extra four days - Recommendations?

Hi Dave,

We loved our time in Barcelona. Las Ramblas is great to stroll along,
look at the wares the street vendors and shops are selling etc. I
seem to remember the motorcycles taking over the place, bikes
everywhere! We had some great paella in a little restaurant in
walking distance from our hotel. Very hip and modern city, quite
different than London, Rome, and Madrid.

In our tour of Spain, we left Barcelona and spent time in Tarragona, a
city about 60 miles South. Easy to get to, pretty close by. It's an
old Roman city on the Med. Sea. It's literally right on the water,
beautiful setting. Although I'm sure there are "attractions", our
main attraction to the town was the town itself. Quaint cafes line
some streets. Old Roman forts and ruins abound. Pretty cool.

We especially enjoyed a restaurant that served super thin-crusted
pizzas that were probably 10-inches in diameter. It's funny because
the menu at this restaurant was filled with all different types of
food, but in a quick survey, the pizza seemed to be the food du jour.
Great pizza!! Much better than what I had in Florence, sheeesh.

Have fun.

Keith M
Pittsburgh

(Dave J.) wrote in message . com...
Hi -- I'll be in Barcelona on New Year's and for a few days in
January. Three questions, help is very much appreciated.

1) Any ideas of what to do on New Year's Eve 2003? I guess we'll just
walk the Ramblas, etc.

2) I'll be renting a car and leaving Barcelona for about four days.
Have to get back to the airport there, so can't go more than a 4-5
hour drive. Any suggestions of interesting towns, villages, moderate
hotels for my several days? I can go to France or stay in Spain, ideas
most welcome! We are avid travelers, and most enjoy interesting
towns/cities and just walking/eating/wine,etc.

3) Any suggestions for a place to stay outside of Barcelona for the
last night, where I need to get into the airport to return my car and
get on a 10AM flight home? I hope that there is a small town wtihin a
90 minute drive of the airport.

Thanks!

Dave