Old February 25th, 2009, 11:55 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
tim.....

Default Hotels in SA

"Marc Lurie" wrote in message
Yes you could. The holiday season sarts in early April, and it will be
more difficult then, but March shouldn't be a problem at all.

Thanks

One of the guide books says that it's hard (without pre-booking) for the
whole of the summer (October to April I think),

But I can't see how it can be, none of the Northern hemisphere visitors are
likely to target March and the locals are mostly going to be travelling
during the school holiday, which I made sure to miss

Many hotels and guesthouses charge a per person tarrif, while some
charge a fixed room rate.

There are numerous "Bed and Breakfasts" in virtually every town as
well. These offer from basic accommodation to luxury accomodation.
I've never had too much of a problem finding accomodation wherever
I've been. Prices range from around R350 and up.

I eventually found this:

http://www.aatravel.co.za/

300 pp or 400 sgl looks to be a normal rate.

Larger towns and cities will have a range of accomodation available
and there will almost always be somewhere to stay.

Large town hotels are outside my friend's price range (He's trying to
pretend that B&Bs are outside his price range!).

And it doesn't matter which route you take there are long distances where
there are no large towns to stop at

There are motels as well.

OK that's good to hear

thanks