Old September 27th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Thur

"Martin" wrote ...
http://www.expatica.com/source/site_...nt+to+leave%27
International agency expats 'want out of the Netherlands'
The reasons for wanting to leave included unhappiness with the
healthcare waiting lists and unsympathetic doctors; the tax system;
dealing with bureaucracy; expensive childcare and the lack of suitable
housing.

Apparantly they are well integrated, because that's about what local people
complain. Healthcare waitinglists (5 weeks before even having a first
appointment), taxes, bureaucracy (you need at least 3 permits for anything
and you'll have to wait at least several months), childcare is expensive
(but then again, people want to have it _all_.how about making some
choices?) and housing (rent & to buy) is overly expensive, period.

The list of grievances was topped off with complaints about the
weather and the difficulties of speaking Dutch.

Firstly, the weather isn't _that_ bad and is not something to control.
Secondly, I think most people working as expats in international
organisations will have to speak English (French?) most of the time anyway
at work, so... why speak Dutch at all (you can get around just fine on
English) or... just learn a few basic phrases which is appreciated and
switch to English. And I do admit that hearing some Dutch speak English has
a tendency to sound like Dutch ;-)
Greetings,

*want to leave too! :-P*