Old September 13th, 2007, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
John Kulp

Default CNN article on problems in Air Travel, as seen by FAA

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:36:47 -0700, mrtravel wrote:

John Kulp wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 19:16:07 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

GPS does not track aircraft; radar does.

Funny, GPS can place a smart bomb right on a target it tracks, but it
can't track aircraft. I have news for you. I was on an international
flight a while back and was talking to the relief pilot. He said the
US was the only country NOT using GPS and was totally outdated. So
how, then, do the flights get to where they're going?

GPS was used to guide the bombs to pre-determined fixed locations, which
is a bit different than how it would work with aircraft.

To use GPS for tracking an aircraft, the GPS device would be on the
aircraft being tracked and it would have to broadcast this location
information to the trackers.

True, but GPS is GPS. They all use the same satellites.