Old November 29th, 2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_2_]

Default Can you buy UK to US tickets with US dollars while in the UK?

"Doug Weller" wrote in message
I fly UK -US round trip to visit my elderly dad. He pays for the tickets,
giving me US dollars. But I end up paying in pounds and lose heavily in
the dollars to pounds conversion.
If I could pay from my US bank account I'd save. But I haven't been able
to figure out how to do this (I'm talking online of course).
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

All sales in the UK are denominated in pounds. If you pay with any other
currency an exchange rate is involved. There are no fares ex UK
filed/quoted in any currency other than GBP. If anyone, anywhere in the
world, issues a ticket ex UK the fare will be in pounds. Depending on the
precise circumstances if you pay in dollars a box called "equivalent fare
paid" may show some dollars.

If you want to pay using dollars two things you might want to investigate,
but I'm not sure they will be significantly better than your current
situation:

1) Pay using a USD denominated credit card. Although cards charge a
service fee their actual exchange rate can be quite good (but it pays to
check with the issuer first).
2) Get you dad to contact the airline in the US. Although the fare will
still be in pounds the airline will do the exchange and the rates are
usually fairly stable and don't involve a service fee. He can then pay
using his dollar card or a cheque or whatever. In the old days of paper
tickets the airline in the US would conatct the UK and tell them to mail you
the paper ticket - not necessary in these days of electronic tickets. The
only thing I would say about this method is that you must be ultra careful
that your dad gives the airline your full legal name, not some family
nickname.