Old March 15th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Traveller

Default Delta 767s

"Frank" wrote in message
We just booked a flight from BWI to Fort Myers Fl with Delta. The flight

out
is 1593 and stops in Atlanta. The return is two different flights with the
change in Atlanta. What surprises me is that all four segments are on

767s.
Why would Delta use such a large plane on such short runs??

Bear in mind that while 767s are aircraft with long-haul capability, they
are also pretty sizeable in terms of passenger capacity. According to
delta.com, the DL 767 has between 204 and 287 seats, depending on the
variant and configuration - which makes it bigger in terms of pax carried
than the 777 at 277 seats.

Many airlines use 767s on short runs. One which comes to mind immediately
is British Airways, who I have seen running 767s between London and Paris,
Geneva, or Zurich - all flights of 90 minutes or less.

Some airlines use even bigger birds - Japan Air Lines ran (and maybe still
does run) a B747-SR (Short Range) capable of carrying up to 550 pax on short
routes. JAL use(d) it for domestic flights with very high density.

PEter