Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:56 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

Default SIM Cards

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article e.nl,
Frank Slootweg says...

Nope. You mentioned two numbers in the part about *recharging*, no
number for *activating*.

One of the numbers is the hotline through which in theory you are able
to activate.

Be *specific*. AFAICT there is no number called "hotline" and what the
heck does "in theory" mean?

Thanks. I did go, actually seven times. And I *did* enjoy my Vodafone
SIM card, that's why I said your experience is not normal.

The problem with Vodafone was that apparently their hotline is only
functional during working days. It did not work on Jan. 1st, as the
kiosk owner confirmed.

If you call the *right* number, i.e. the number in the supplied
documentation (You *did* actually *read* the instructions, didn't you?)
you get connected to an *automated* response system. AFAIR, the *whole*
procedure is automated, so I doubt that the *computer* had a holiday.

[repeat deleted]

As you said, in Malaysia the *shop clerk* activated the phone, so you
have no way of knowing whether or not a local address was required and
if so whether (s)he just gave *their* address, which many shops do. The
other countries are probably the same.

No.

I can confirm that the clerk in Malaysia did not request any local
address from us. Same in China and Vietnam.

Sigh! I didn't say that he *asked* for an address, but that you have
no way of knowing if he *supplied* an address or not.

Which makes a lot of sense, because it is pointless to request a local
address from a foreign traveller. Even if you give the address of the
first hotel where you are staying (assuming you have a booking), you'll
have a new address in a few days, if you travel around the country.

[silent snip of counter argument noted]

Bottom line: You had a bad experience for whatever reason. ****
happens. But bashing Vodafone for *one* event, which probably wasn't
even their fault is rather silly.

No. Here is what is wrong with Vodafone:

1. Customer hotline not working on public holidays - impossible to
activate over the phone, forcing people to use the Internet.
2. Poor choice of retail partners (can't activate SIM cards, don't know
what they are selling).
3. Requiring a local address for activation from a foreigner.
4. Their network had technical problems on the first day.

After my earlier responses I read a bit of your 'travelogue', of your
*first* trip of no less than *eight* days. I think I've seen (more than)
enough! Let's hope for the Aussies' (and my) sake, that it was your
*last* trip as well.

But stay tuned for my upcoming travelogue of my trip to Germany. I
plan to stay one or may be even two days, so I'll be an expert on all
things German.