Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:36 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
PJT

Default SIM Cards

Thank you all,

I have now read elsewhere that Vodafone coverage is not as good as Telstra
so will stick with the latter even if it is a little more expensive.

Peter

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
.home.nl...
PJT wrote:
Does anyone have experience of using a pay as you go simcard from
www.simcardguru.co.uk whilst travelling in Australia ?

I gather this is purchased before leaving the UK but can be topped up in
Australia.

I would only consider this option if you *have* to know your
Australian mobile number *before* you arrive in Australia.

In all *other* situations, I would *not* use this option.

You can buy prepaid SIMs 'everywhere' in Oz and the main brands
(Telstra, Vodafone, etc.) can be activated over the (mobile) phone, so
activation isn't a problem.

For *me*, coverage is the most important. If you also want/need to use
your phone in smaller/rural towns, then the Telstra *network* is the
only option. This (www.simcardguru.co.uk) SIM uses the Vodafone
network. Vodafone itself will not let you roam onto other networks, so I
doubt that this SIM will. Vodafone network means less/no coverage.

I also doubt that recharge vouchers for this SIM are widely available,
unless it also accepts Vodafone vouchers.

OTOH, the rates to call (from Australia) to other countries seem
rather attractive, so if you intend/need to do that a lot, this SIM
might be a good choice.

OTOH2, considering the low price of this SIM (4 pounds), you probably
can do *both*, i.e. buy this SIM before you go and, if needed, buy a
'better' one at you leisure after you arrive.

FYI, I use a Telstra pre-paid SIM. Higher rates, but the best
coverage.