Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Pete Loud

Default Volcano climbing in indonesia

Hi Manfred,

I presume that on your trip around Nusa Tenggara you went up Kelimutu?

I went up one morning, I took the bus at about 4:00am then sat at the summit freezing in the clouds and rain and didn't see a thing
so walked down at 9am. The next day I walked up starting at sunrise. This time the clouds hovered around the top of the volcano. I
walked around and hung around for a few hours and eventually managed to get a holiday snapshot of the place.
http://www.peteloud.co.uk/indonesia/...lores_w750.jpg

I didn't get a chance to go up Kelimutu again and get some better some photos when the weather was good because later that day I
became ill with either typhoid or para-typhoid, - the joys of travelling ;-(

Cheers,

Pete
Maps of Indonesia & lots of other places plus a few photos etc. etc.
www.peteloud.co.uk/

"Manfred Aigner" wrote in message t...
Pete Loud wrote:
Hi Manfred,

The climb to the summit is rather tough,
because of the loose ground (two steps up, sliding 1,5 back) but
defenitely worth it! Bring a good torch!

. . . .
Climb the summit from the lake takes approx 6-8h ...

You are a better man than me ;-(

Some months of travelling through sulawesi and nusa tengara put me in a
good shape at that time - and I was younger then ;-)

I'm better at sitting around Gili Air with a beer and grilled kakap and seeing the summit of Rinjani from there ;-)

Well, I wouldn't say that I'm bad in that discipline neither ;-)
best after returning from the summit - but I can defenitely sit longer
with some beers than I can climb mountains ;-)

Incidentally I have a photo taken from the rim of the crater looking into the caldera and Segara Anak, (the lake) on my Maps of
Indonesia website at, www.peteloud.co.uk/indonesia/

I have only one photo of rinjan online
http://lombok-ecoturist.org/Pics/Rinjani.jpg
I need to look for the ones from the summit and scan them ...

selamat jalan,

Manfred