Old September 10th, 2013, 11:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

Default on the subject of airports..

On 10.09.2013 15:41, Erick T. Barkhuis wrote:
Josef Kleber:

Am 10.09.2013 14:06, schrieb Erick T. Barkhuis:
Reading up on this, I noticed two rules, confirmed by several
websites: 1. In the Netherlands, dutch inhabitants need to carry
an ID 2. In Germany, germans need to posess, not carry, an ID

What's the rule for residents of dutch nationality in Germany?

[...]
Pretty much the same as for germans, it seems:

[...]
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ausweispflicht
http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/fr..._2004/__8.html

So you need to posess an ID and prove ID if asked by authorities.

Thanks for this, Josef.

No need to carry, but being hold for hours by police for identity
verification isn't much fun either.

Being held by police doesn't make it any easier to go and get the
passport from the drawer at home, either.

which reminds me of what happened to me some years back. I leave the
house one morning, walk over to the car in the driveway and this police
car suddenly drives up and surrounds me.. I can't quite describe exactly
how one police car can surround you, but they did it. Out jumps a young
police officer and a young police officerette. Is this my car, he wants
to know. It's the moment I've been waiting for all my life. No, it's a
company car, I quip. Let's see your ID. I just walked out of the house
to get some stuff out of the car, it's at home. Where's that. This is my
house. Prove it. This is the house door key, this is the car key, this
one opens the letterbox, this one opens the garage. Silence. Well, we've
had a phone call, and someone reported a suspicious person round here
wearing a green jacket and brown trousers. I look at the police officer
in his German police uniform and then at the officerette, who is now
struggling not to burst out laughing. The officer looks slightly
sheepish. I nodded, thanked him profusely for the information and the
diligence of the police force, and promised I'd keep an eye open for
anyone matching the description. They climb back into the car, the
officerette still struggling with a giggling fit, and the officer
manages to reverse out without hitting anything.