Old September 11th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default Cheap place to stay in Hong Kong?

Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:
I've heard about Chungking mansions -that's the "fire trap" place, isn't
it? Is it cheap there? Clean? Safe (except for the fire hazards)?
I know Hong Kong is quite an expensive place to stay, so forget about
hotels (even "cheap" ones like YMCA) -they're not for backpackers, at
least not if the prices are the same (or higher) than when I was
visiting 10 years ago. Luckily then I had friends to stay with there,
which I don't this time.

I'm sure they're safe. As for clean, well, maybe.

Those two buildings are large multi-use (residential/business) blocks that
each have a fair number of suites that have been converted into guest
houses. Each one (probably about a dozen in each building) is indpendently
run and sets its own prices and quality standards. So you have to check out
a few to get a sense of whether you'll find something that works for you.
There are people hanging around on the ground floor in the mall areas who
will chat you up about their places if they see you wandering around with
luggage.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.