Old August 16th, 2006, 06:21 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
mazda610328

Default Kenya animal migration

Thanks much, Bill. It's helpful.

I just checked some website covering consolidated Safari Operators
info. and found that the cost per day ranges widely. For budget ranges
around USD 70-100 per day per person, is it normal price or cheap?
what's the lodging quality I could expect, clean & acceptable or lousy?

And~ when you were in Tanzania, what did you do there? Watching animals
all day long? How long does it take to travel from Masai Mara to
Serengeti?

Best,
Eunice

Bill wrote:
mazda610328 wrote:
I am thinking to go to Kenya to watch animal migration in the end of
Sept to beginning of Oct. Several questions might need help.
Appreciated.

- Is it a good timing, since I know it's seasonal activities?

I've only been to nearby Tanzania but the migration typically is in
Kenya's Masai Mara during the time frame you mention ... you can track
it at sites like this one ... http://www.atta.co.uk/nomad/index.html
... seems a bit late reaching Kenya this year because of the excellent
conditions in the Serengeti.

- What's the proper length of vacation days? will 7-10days be too
boring to stay in different national parks

Depends entirely on you ... we've taken two trips to Tanzania, 13 and
10 nights on safari, and could easily have stayed longer but others are
bored after 3-4 days once they check off the major animals on their
list.

- Is it better to purchase local tour package in advance or it's very
easy to book upon arrival.

I understand July - Sept is peak travel time in Kenya so most of the
good places will be filled already. For example we are booking a long
trip to Tanzania next January when the migration is massed on the short
grass plains and two of the lodges we are using have been booked 100%
full since March for next January and February. So book in advance for
the busiest times.

- Is it dangerours to travel alone?

You should hire a drive/guide.

Bill