Old April 16th, 2009, 09:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge Foreskin

Default Trains & ferries, Britain & Ireland

On Apr 16, 10:04*pm, "tim....." wrote:
"Runge Foreskin" wrote in message

On Apr 16, 9:27 pm, jpwoodruff wrote:

I've got a question about tickets and reservations for my upcoming
vacation trip.

We mean to travel from London (after flying from US) to Ireland
without using a car. We will go by rail to Chester, spend a couple
days there, then rail & sail to Dublin.

How many tickets will I need for that journey? Will I buy both legs
each as an individual trip?

This is a "single" not a "return" ticket (in US we say "one-way" not
"round trip") because homebound is even more complex. We will spend
some time in Wales. Specifically, we'll leave Ireland from Rosslare
by Ferry to Fishguard. Then after a couple days looking at the
scenery, to Abergavenny by rail. A week or so later, to London, then
home.

I'm feeling pretty ignorant - like many another American, I usually
use a car when I travel. Please advise me: what tickets and
reservations will I need? Should I buy online from home, or over a
counter?

John

what's wrong with renting a car ?

ISTM that renting a car and then paying to put it on a ferry is a pretty
dumb thing to do

tim