Old June 11th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Marcus Streets

Default Newfoundland and Labrador folk festivals

David Dalton wrote:
Marcus Streets wrote:

Two and a half days and only 2 stages and you call it a big festival.

For a city of 100,000 and a province of 500,000 it is a big festival
and has world class musicians and more celtic content than the
Cambridge Folk Festival I am sure, for less cost and in a more
intimate setting, though maybe 10,000 will attend in the warm
tree lined power-spot confines of Bannerman Park, a one minute
walk to bed and breakfasts and a five minute walk to Hotel
Newfoundland and Captain's Quarters, and a five minute walk
to downtown pubs, unlike many megafestivals that are set
way out in the boonies (though camping can be fun). By
big I meant it is big compared to some small free community
one-day festivals that may get 500 people but not big
compared to Winnipeg, Edmonton and Vancouver Folk Festivals
which are more world music hot spots than this showcase of
stellar ancient-rooted local talent, and cost over
three times as much, and have not been running since
and including 1976 like this one. You don't know what
you are missing.

David

Sounds great and I wish I had the time to fly over.
I would really love to get back to Canada someday -I really enjoyed my
last visit.

Mind you Cambridge is only a city of 100,000 and the Cambridge
festival site is within the city boundary - with hotels and bars in
easy walking distance. Obviously I cannot comment on whether Bannerman
Park is as nice as the grounds of Cherry Hinton Hall.

If I wanted to see local talent I would head 10 miles up the road to
Ely - whose Folk Festival has a lot of Morris bands and sides.

Or over to the Straw Bear burning in Whitlesea or over to St Neots.