Old August 9th, 2006, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith W[_1_]

Default OT? playing MP3s while travelling in Europe

"The Reid" wrote in message
While I travel in Europe I want to play the MP3 files that I made
from my old vinyl via Ion USB turntable.
The cars I travel in Europe in dont have sockets, only flashier
ones than mine do.
So I can make CDS from MP3s on my PC for that, I assume.Problem
solved.

OK so far, now my home european Hi Fi is almost dead, Ive been
searching around but I cant find what sort of box inputs MP3 into
my Hi Fi, I dont want to tie up the PC playing music and as multi
player CDs seems to have almost disappereard making CDs isnt the
answer.. I think I want a box that holds the MP3s or links by USB
to a hard disc, maybe that also an amp, (my current stuff is
NAD). Does this exist? What do *you* do to play MP3s in Europe?

The simplest and cheapest solution is to get a lead that converts the
3.5 mm jack plug on your mp3 player to two phono plugs that will connect
to the AUX input on your hi-fi

A more sophisticated solution if you have a wireless network is
to get one of the new generation of boxes that fetch mp3's
from your computer via wifi and make it available on demand
at your hifi.

I use a Slimdevices squeezebox that has phono, coax digital
and optical TOS oulets. The server software that runs on the
PC is freeware and supports Windows and Linux

Not only does it provide access to your MP3's but also handles
Internet radio. You can have multiple players on the network
and each player has a headphone socket so with a cheap pair
of active speakers you can have access in any room.

http://www.slimdevices.com/welcome1....FTRGGgodhXNkEQ

I believe Philips have similar offerings

Keith