Old August 9th, 2006, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith W[_1_]

Default OT? playing MP3s while travelling in Europe

"BB" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:37:21 +0100, The Reid wrote:

the music on a hard disk. Fit a wifi system to PC which allows
the PC to connect via radio to the Squeezebox, the Sqeezebox
acceses the hard disk via wifi and the server software and the
squeezebox is hard wired to the amp as an input device, you then
choose your tunes from the squeezbox remote.

You'll probably want a wireless router next to your PC. It'll simplify
matters quite a bit, and it won't cost much more than a wireless card for
your PC (your PC probably also has a wired network port, which can plug
into the router). Wi-fi also allows any passer-by access to your computer,
though.

I already have a ADSL Modem/Wireless router which I use for
this

If your PC is close enough, you could just run category 5 computer cable
between your PC and any such box. The speed and reliability will be better
than wifi, and you don't have to worry about security as much. Make sure
you tell the people at the computer shop what you're planning to do, as it
requires a certain (crossover) cable and a bit of address setup.

The squeezebox is an 8011.g device so as long as you have a .g
router and .g wifi cards it doesnt slow it up any

Keith