Old January 28th, 2013, 05:40 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
SMS

Default Taiwan

On 1/22/2013 3:10 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
I'll be in Taiwan over Easter for two weeks with the family and still
need to plan the itinerary (just have some vague ideas right now). Has
anybody been there?

One other thing, for SIM cards, the last time I was there I had to go to
one of the mobile carrier's stores to buy a SIM card because the
government had halted sales of SIM cards in convenience stores like
7-11. However I have heard that they have since revoked the ban on SIM
card sales at 7-11. You need a passport and one other form of ID to buy
a SIM card.

When I was in China last year, all four of us had phones with local SIM
cards and this enormously convenient so we did not have to worry about
getting separated or going off to do things on our own. My son used his
phone to call me from the toilet in a department store to bring him
toilet paper! Amazingly, the phones all worked fine out on the wall at
Jinshanling.