Old February 9th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Gordon Burditt

Default Are You On Uncle Sam's No Fly List?

I'm on their "Watch List" which is a step down from the No Fly List. I fly
2 to 4 times a week. Each time at the ticket counter, my name is "Flagged"
& I then have to go through additional screening, as well as my luggage.
Delays & missed flights are the result. I'm now involved with the class
action lawsuit through the ACLU. But the best part is, that they still deny
the list exists.

I'm sure there's no chance I'm going to be allowed to get on a
commercial airline, nor survive the attempt if I ever try. I'm
supposed to carry with me a device which in operation counts down
seconds (that is, it looks and acts like a bomb timer). Along with
it, I have a clearly dangerous device whose purpose is to induce
bleeding: a lot more dangerous than the verboten electric razors
and tiny pocket knives. (It's called a blood glucose meter, and
associated lancing device for getting a drop of blood to test.)
I am lucky I do not have to carry with me syringes and vials of
what looks like a biological weapon (but is actually insulin).

Should the issue ever come to court, I'm sure that the court will
rule that the security officer had reasonable cause to shoot me,
and if the issue is not rendered moot by the fact that I am dead,
that I was not breaking the law attempting to bring the device on
board an airplane. That won't be much comfort to my surviving
relatives.

Gordon L. Burditt