Old November 5th, 2011, 03:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Alaska Cruise

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 14:43:40 -0700 (PDT), Earl_Colby_Pottinger
wrote:
On Oct 29, 4:28*pm, Bill wrote:
On 10/29/2011 12:38 PM, Earl_Colby_Pottinger wrote:

HAL is not that bad in Alaska in terms of age. They've been marketing to
families to do multi-generation trips so you get a reasonable mix of
people. There were not as many walkers as you'd expect to see on HAL.

I just had this impression from past posts and the fact that when our
ship shared a pier with an Holland ship the first thing we saw from
our balcony after docking was all the people taking their morning walk
around the walkway on the Holland ship.

I guess on the plus side all these older people were up first thing in
the morning getting their muscles moving, this is more than what I can
say about my older friends who think we are crazy to go camping and
first thing we doing in the morning is to walk some trails or go canoe/
kayaking. Maybe I am the one who needs to be more flexible in my
choice of ships.

We are older than you, and you will find some older folks on HAL, but
I think the majority of people are in their 50s or younger. You won't
find a lot of families with school age children during the school
year, but there are always some. And anyway (as I told my children
when they didn't want to eat asparagus or something) that means more
for me - you will have more space on the more active excursions. Also
I often find that the older people are more interesting to talk to -
they have more experiences.

We did Alaska from Seattle for two weeks on HAL at the last minute. We
had a veranda which was really neat in Alaska although I've never
wanted one before because I could see what was going on going up the
Inside Passage, and also on the Tracy Arm visit etc. Going early
also means that you will often be the first ship of the season, so it
is less 'touristy'.