Old July 20th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Richard

"yoni" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to go visit Mexico City, but I read online that there is
so much crime that I am having 2nd doubts. Kidnappings, robberies,
etc..

Every big city has crime. I'd be more worried about the pollution than the
kidnappings.

Anyone know if its any safer now?

As compared to...?

Is it worth the risk?

Definitely.

Plus keep in mind that I will be with locals ( I am going to visit a
friend).

Mexico City, like any other big city, has areas that are more dangerous than
others. Avoid the sketchy parts (a local will be a huge asset in achieving
this), use your common sense (don't count your money in the metro) and
you'll be just fine.

For what it's worth, last time I was in Mexico City, I had a copy of the
Lonely Planet's guide to Mexico which I showed to a Mexican friend who got a
good chuckle reading the section on dangers and precautions for the capital.
She told me that they really went overboard in describing things that could
go wrong and precautions to take.

Also, keep in mind that Mexicans living away from Mexico City tend to paint
an even grimmer picture of their capital than does the international media.
If you happen to encounter any horror stories from Mexicans outside the
capital before you get there, just be sympathetic and listen to what they
have to say but don't let it scare you -- Mexico City is a great place to
visit!

Richard