Old October 25th, 2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Hans-Georg Michna

Default Safari

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:19:00 +0200, Wildpicture wrote:

Hans-Georg Michna schreef:

There may be something with being much closer to Africa in
Europe. Maybe that raises awareness.

It doesn't seem to work the other way around. I remember sitting in a
restaurant in Etosha in 2001. The (local) assistant manager of Namutoni
Camp came to our table and sat with us. We chatted for quite a while. He
wanted to know about our home country (Netherlands) and was visible
surprised that we didn't have wildlife like elephants wandering
about.... :-)

Hans,

education in Africa is a problem. I visited some upcountry
schools in Kenya and wasn't sure afterwards whether those
schools actually educate the students or, rather, keep them
dumb.

This leads to many people in Africa being very poorly educated.
I remember those starry nights on the camp fire when I had to
explain to my African friends what the difference is between a
star and a planet, or what our sun is or how far it is away or
how far the moon is away---they knew essentially nothing.

Actually my thoughts go further. I believe that mankind cannot
really afford to let so many brains go to waste. I'm asking
myself how many children are dumbed down in Africa and kept from
developing their potential. A particular waste is the highly
intelligent ones that would urgently be needed to develop the
economy in their own countries and, for example, create jobs.

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.