Old February 10th, 2008, 05:35 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

Default PCH (CA1) in March

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 01:41:06 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 14:21:41 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

wrote in message
The trip I take, and recommend to others, is described on the page of
DRIVING DIRECTIONS at the TouringSFO site at
http://geocities.com/touringsfo/
and further detailed in the report "A Trip to Anaheim..." inked to it.

As Hatunen pointed out, you won't be near the PCH until you get to
Oxnard, about 330 miles from San Francisco's City Hall, beyond Santa
Barbara.

On the History Channel they had a special on building the coast highway.
The point out that the PCH is really only the far south part of the
road,
but the whole route to Washington State from California is commonly
referred
to as the Pacific Coast Highway.

Apparently by people who don't live along it. I spent sixteen
years living within a mile or so of CA-1, and using parts of it
every day, and I heard no one in the SF Bay ever, ever refer to
it as "Pacific Coast Highway". But somewhere there was probably
someone, probably a newcomer.

And who the hell ever referred to it as the Cabrillo highway.

Since I never mentioned the Cabrillo Highway I'm not sure why you
did.

I have lived
with in 10-40 miles of it for 63 years, and we always referred to it as 1
or
the coast highway.

Right. But not as Pacific Coast Highway.

Nope, Atlantic Coast highway. ;) Lots of people call it the PCH. Just
see how many you have brow beat on this newsgroup alone.