Old December 14th, 2008, 04:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
Mark Brader

Default Report from the US, a nice but somewhat backward country.

This is now off-topic for both newsgroups, but in the hope of ending
the subthread quickly...

Mike O'Sullivan:
"Not so the German toilet. The excrement lands on a bone-dry horizontal
shelf, mere inches beneath one's posterior. Repeated flushings are
required to slide the ordure off the shelf ..."

Frank Slootweg:
I still don't understand it! The "shelf" is a little hollow, not flat.
Do the Germans use special water which magically flows *up*hill?

When you flush, the flush water is dumped onto the "shelf", moving
fast enough to overcome the slight slope of the hollow and wash it
(hopefully) clean.

So the bottom :-) line question is: Is there water on top of the
"shelf"?

No, only when you flush.

If not, *why* not?

What I've read is: so that dirty water won't splash up when the next
chunk falls in, as it can in the design the rest of us are used to.
--
Mark Brader | "When I was 10 years old, all I gave my sweetheart was
Toronto | a pair of projections that turned the group of rotations