Old March 31st, 2013, 03:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default London-Paris-Alps-Venice-Athens

I am an experienced traveller, but I'd like your advice for achieving
what I recognize to be a very compressed schedule. *Based on my past
experiences I believe this two-week schedule is possible, except for
the things I do not know, which is where rte comes in. *What do you
think?

The anchors are a visit to England to visit Shakespearean sites, and
Athens to see the Parthenon. *Driving the Alps in general is important,
and crossing the Stelvio Pass is the key part of that. *If one drives
through the Alps, then Venice is just waiting there for some visiting,
and it is a very special place (and would have flights to Athens).

Saturday - arrive in London, rent car from the airport, drive to Bath,
visit Avebury, Lacock and Castle Combe along the way, visit Bath rest
of day to work off jet lag

Sunday - early morning Special Access Pass to visit Stonehenge, drive
through Cotswolds villages, arrive at Stratford-upon-Avon and visit
Shakespeare houses

Monday - return car to airport, train to London, walking tour around
Westminster, National Picture Gallery, get tickets for Tower

Tuesday - visit Tower and Crown Jewels first thing in the morning, then
visit British museum, time visit to see Shakespeare play in New Globe

Wednesday - train to Paris (depending on departure schedule, perhaps
visiting Tower this morning to provide more British Museum time on
prior day)

Thursday - visit the Louvre, go to top of Eiffel Tower

Friday - go to airport and rent a car, and drive to Davos, Switzerland.
*I will check to confirm I can rent a car and drive it outside the
country.

Saturday - cross the Stelvio Pass, drive through the Alps to Venice,
drop car off at airport, arrive at hotel

Sunday - St. Mark's, Doge's Palace, walking tour, walking tour at night

Monday - Breakfast at Nico's Gelateria, go to airport (yes just one day
in Venice), flight to Athens, rent car from airport and drive to a nice
hotel I found south of Corinth on the Saronic Gulf

Sunday - visit Ancient Corinth, drive to Ancient Olympia (options: the
fast Gulf of Corinth coast road around to Pirgos and then head in east,
or take the highway toward Tripolis and somehow take those tiny winding
roads across the center of the peninsula?)

Monday - visit Ancient Olympia, drive to Ancient Delphi

Tuesday - visit Ancient Delphi, drive to Thermopylae, Marathon, Sounion

Wednesday - drop car off at airport, bus into Athens, see non-Acropolis
sites, e.g. the big Archeological Museum

Thursday - early morning arrival at Acropolis to visit it, perhaps more
Acheological Museum

Friday - flight to Frankfurt, flight to USA

Sunday - arrive home

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com