Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

Default London-Paris-Alps-Venice-Athens

Dan Stephenson:
I am an experienced traveller, but I'd like your advice for achieving
what I recognize to be a very compressed schedule...

Jesper Lauridsen:
I'm surprised you'll attempt this, given your travel record. It's
the kind of schedule people who expects never to travel again makes.

Yeah.

Saturday - arrive in London, rent car from the airport, drive to Bath,
visit Avebury, Lacock and Castle Combe along the way, visit Bath rest
of day to work off jet lag

A lot of moving around for someone coming off a transatlantic flight.

Seems to me that time should be allowed for a hospital visit following
the car crash due to falling asleep from jet lag.

But you've been in that situation before and must know your limits.

It sounds as though "visit" might mean "drive past". In my experience
driving *anywhere* in Britain takes 50-100% longer than you might expect.
I hope the airport is Heathrow, at least, this being on the correct side
of London.

Friday - go to airport and rent a car, and drive to Davos, Switzerland.
I will check to confirm I can rent a car and drive it outside the
country.

Renting at airports are usually more expensive than in the city. Also
keep an eye on the included km. 300km/day is standard in Germany, don't
know how it is in France.

As there are high-speed trains from Paris to Switzerland, it might also
be preferable to do the first part of the trip by train and then switch
to a car at a suitable point.

Friday - flight to Frankfurt, flight to USA

Sunday - arrive home

Saturday, surely.

I would have thought Friday. Due to the time zones, most westbound
transatlantic flights are daylight trips.
--
Mark Brader | "Earthmen learned how to send ships through space, and
| so initiated human history, though I suppose there was
Toronto | previous history on Earth." -- Jack Vance, "Emphyrio"