Old April 4th, 2013, 12:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default London-Paris-Alps-Venice-Athens

On 2013-04-02 04:09:35 -0500, Giovanni Drogo said:

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013, Dan Stephenson wrote:

I am an experienced traveller, but I'd like your advice for achieving
what I recognize to be a very compressed schedule. *

definitely something I won't do (surely not by car, could be fun by train)

Well I like to do scenic driving

Driving the Alps in general is important, and crossing the Stelvio Pass
is the key part of that. *If one drives through the Alps, then Venice
is just waiting there

You do not tell us WHEN you plan that. You should check that Stelvio
(and possibly some other passes) are open. I guess they are currently
still closed by snow.

That is a good point. Living in Texas USA, I am not accustomed to
snowy climes. I'll have to factor that in, and perhaps go a little
later.

Not sure why you have chosen exactly Stelvio among all possible Alp
passes. Also you do not tell us details on the routes.

The routes aren't so critical, I'll decide the exact route en-route, I
was just checking thematic plausablity to reach Davos from Paris in a
day, and Davos to Venice in a day.

To make the Stelvio you could either get to Bormio from Zernez and
Livigno, and then cross the Stelvio northwards, then drive to Bolzano
and all the way down to Venice.

Or you could drive from Zernez to Prato allo Stelvio via val Mustair
and then cross the Stelvio southwards to Bormio, then drive to Ponte di
Legno, Edolo and down Val Camonica to Brescia and then plain motorway
to Venice (that sort of the route google maps suggests for
Davos-Bormio-Venice, except that it skips Stelvio and does
Davos-Zernez-Livigno-Bormio !). Apparently for Davos-Zernez it suggests
the Vereina rail tunnel.

From my recollection travelling through that area before, it's ALL
beautimous. So I would ask if there are any glaciers that one can
drive to and walk someone close to the face? That would definitely
shape my route. Any ideas?

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com