Old September 19th, 2004, 07:05 AM
sniper

Default Visa reqts for US

In 1997, during an argument with my then boyfriend I was arrested for ABH.
When this went to court, the case was dismissed due to extenuating
circumstances (I was defending ,myself). Therefore I have no criminal
record. I haven't even had a parking offence

However, I have to go to the US on company business and it appears I am no
longer able to travel under the Visa Waiver Scheme because I have been
arrested, regardless of the outcome of the case. This now means I am going
to have to admit this to my employers (and it also means I am going to have
to tell them I cannot do the business trip since there is no way of getting
a visa in the time scale). I also now have to explain the whole sorry mess
to my husband.

I have no paperwork relating to the case, - I can't even remember what court
it was in- never thinking I'd need it so now I have to apparently contact
New Scotland yard to try to find some record. Exactly how, or how long this
will take, I have yet to find out

Surely this is an offence against Civil Liberties? If I'd been found guilty
then maybe I could have understood it but in these circumstance this seems
totally unfair, especially as I've previously travelled to the US many times
without problems.

--
"Support bacteria, they're the only culture some people have