Old December 10th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Treemoss2

When we went to Africa we had the same sorts of questions. Finally did what we
thought was the best of both worlds. We went to Botswana and S.A. One week at a
lodge and then one week at much more modest surroundings in a tented camp, with
walking treks as well as driving. Only 8 people total, including cook and
guide.

I don't know if you would see much just sitting in one spot as you note as that
is a very hit or miss method.
Our transort was always a Landrover with open sides so not have to stand and
poke head through the roof like a prairie dog.
Exactly what we did was to go via 2Africa.com for about $2000, includes
airfare, and then extend our return date out a week and on our own book a
walking safari. They picked us up in J'Burg and we went over to private reserve
N of Kruger and up against Mozambique. It cost about $500 each for the week,
including pick up/return J'Burg. The walking safari thing was nice insofar as
we were the only group on the whole reserve. Thogh we did enjoy the lodge the
first week, right on the bank of the Chobe river. Games drives/boats were go or
not as you wish.

We went during the shoulder season due to better prices ( we are kind of
frugal, allows us to travel much more) and perhaps we did not see as many
animals as during the dry season. It was not rainy at all for us. We saw the
big five, excepting rhino (cheetah, leopard, elephant, buffalo).
I looked extensively into renting and driving on own, and it does look to be
fun, but the cost/planning would be more, and I felt we would need much more
time to do that.

Our total cost for two people was $6972. This was ex-Denver and includes every
cent we spent the entire time after leaving Denver and return such as
incidentals like Starbucks in the airport, souveniers and the like.

I would go with either of the above companies again without qualm.

First week - 2Africa.com
Second week - wordofmouthbackpackers.com click TOURS - walking safari with
Transfrontiers

2Africa also goes other Africa destinations and it would be worth your while to
at least go to the site and check it out. Any way you look at it an Africa
safari is a more expensive vacation that any place or vacation we have ever
done in the past.