Old February 22nd, 2005, 05:54 PM
PTravel

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , PTravel
wrote:

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
om...

snip

Nope. But others are calling for much more than a "security check",

being
mostly concerned that he wasn't a "real" reporter, and didn't work for

"real" news service, and that he was producing "propaganda". I could

make
the same claims against Molly Ivins or Rush Limbaugh; would you deny

them
credentials merely because you don't like their questions?

Now this is really interesting. I've never heard of Molly Ivins.

However,
Rush Limbaugh is NOT a journalist. I'll say it again, because it's
critical: Rush Limbaugh is NOT a journalist. Even HE doesn't claim to

be a
journalist.

He would NOT be entitled to a press credential, nor has he ever
tried to obtain one.

How do you know this ?

That he hasn't tried to obtain one? I assume if he had and was refused he'd
have made it public knowledge. That he's not a journalist? Even he has
said so -- he's the first to admit that he's an entertainer, not a reporter.

What I find particularly disturbing is that YOU don't understand the
difference between a journalist and Rush Limbaugh. Limbaugh doesn't

report
news. Pundits don't report news. Gannon, whatever he is, is not a
journalist and doesn't report news.

And neither does Helen Thomas, she is a NOT a reporter.

According to you. Not according to Hearst Newspapers and United Press
International (for whom she was White House Bureau Chief as well as a
correspondent for 57 years). She was the first woman officer of the
National Press Club and the first woman officer of the White House
Correspondents Association.

You're not seriously comparing Helen Thomas to Jeff Gannon, are you?

If you want news, read newspapers, listen to newsradio, or watch

programs
called "News" on most television networks (Fox has a lot of trouble
separating opinion/editorials from news -- this, by the way, isn't

simply
my opinion, but is proven fact based on in-house memos that have been

made
public.

You seem to be the one confused between news and opinion. Fox airs a
nightly News cast at 7pm EST... that is their News Hour...

And, per the corporate memos which have been made public, the news that is
reported, as well as the slant given to it, is dictated by Murdoch. See,
for example,
http://www.russbaker.com/CJR%20-%20Murdoch's%20Mean%20Machine,%20by%20Russ%20Baker .htm
(an article from the Columbia Journalism Review).

Fox can air whatever opinion pieces it wants. It is cynically
irresponsible, however, to present opinion as "news."

the rest of
their shows are described as:Commentary/debate. In fact, when O'Reilly
makes his 'commentary', that is what the 'crawler' says underneath
him... something the Networks use to do... but haven't for decades.

If Fox confined it's opinion programming to that which it labels
"Commentary/Debate" I wouldn't have any objection.

On the other hand, CNN spent some 10 years in Bagdad concealing the
butcher's atrocities, BY AGREEMENT, so they could maintain a bureau
their.

And even CNN admits that this was a mistake. However, CNN's motivation was
to maintain access to news, rather than to subvert public opinion -- quite
different from Fox.

My point remains the same, though. "Bert Hyman" thinks that Limbaugh is a
journalist. You don't think that, do you?

jay
Tue Feb 22, 2005

This was reported by most of the news media, though, of course, not
Fox).

You do not get news from Rush Limbauh, Hannity, O'Reilly and the rest of
that crew anymore than I would get news from John Stewart or Bill Mahr.
Opinion is just opinon. Do you understand that?