Old August 21st, 2009, 10:44 PM posted to rec.travel.misc,sci.space.policy,alt.politics
giveitawhirl2008

Default Website and Google Group for the ONE MILLION MPH SPACECRAFT

On Aug 21, 5:29*pm, Me wrote:
On Aug 21, 12:32*pm, gaetanomarano wrote:

.

the only problem is that we will have the technology to do that around
the year... 2222...

The only problem is GM does know what he is talking about.

I hope that's the case (GM is wrong [:-)] ). Air&Space Smithsonian
magazine has an article this issue about advanced proposals: all the
way from the near(er) term (fission, fusion) to superluminal travel.
At first, I was disappointed to read, in a pic caption, that there is
a proposal to get a fusion-powered spacecraft going that would reach a
top speed 180,000 mph, with slow acceleration to reach that speed at
midpoint, then begin slow decelaration. That would mean an average
speed of 90,000 mph. That's one-TENTH of what I'm what I'm talking
about!

However, I was heartened to read in the article that fusion rockets
with specific-impulse of 1 million seconds (standard rocket-thrust
measurement: the number of seconds 1 lb. of fuel produces 1 lb. of
thrust) are considered possible. This agrees with "Starfliight: A
Pioneer's Guide to Interestellar Travel." Both say this means solar
system trips that take only MONTHS, not YEARS or DECADES.

http://www.airspacemag.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Starflight-Han.../dp/0471619124