Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default September travel to spain

My advice to all travelers is to take your passions with you when you
travel. If those include politics fine. Do the same things in Spain that
you would do to meet like minded people at home. I had a great time in
Prague when I went to a fund raiser put on by the Kiwanis for a children’s
hospital.
Spain is a very progressive country. You will feel right at home. Decades
of Fascist gov. under Franco made them appreciate freedom more than most
Americans. Spanish pilots refused to attack civilian targets that were
selected by American military planners in Kolsovo. A Spanish Judge indicted
Pinochet. After the last elections the new Prime Minister withdrew Spain
form the coalition of the willing.
There is an English weekly free paper available in Madrid. It will provide
listings of dozens of clubs in Madrid (organizations such as political clubs
and bridge clubs etc.) There is an English speaking Philosophy club that
meets in an Irish bar just a few steps from the Plaza Major in Madrid.
Spaniards join this club to practice English. It is a great scene on many
levels.
In Granada there is the “Jazz Club”. It is a very cool little dive. Mostly
students. The live music there is not very good. But it is a terrific hang
out off the beaten path. You can also get the best beer in the world, Czech
beer, at the “Jazz Club”.
Have fun and don’t leave anything at home you care about.

A tip about driving in Spain. After several harrowing experiences driving
in mediaeval sections of Toledo and Cordoba and Granada I got this tip from
another American couple. When they get to a town like that, they park
their car in the outskirts and grab a cab to take them to their Hotel.

"These are the times that try men's souls." Tom Paine

Stagshrine