Old November 8th, 2003, 07:40 PM
tim

Default Counterfeit Euro detection

"Gernot Egger" wrote in message ...
Casey wrote:
Does anyone know a URL that explains the security features of
Euro notes, i.e. a webpage that explains how to spot a counterfeit
Euro note?

There was a news item yesterday telling how many dud notes
there are. There are apparently even people counterfeiting the
coins! (I suppose that give the 15 different designs and the
fact that most people will have seen few outside their own
country's you could probably pass a coin with micky mouse
on it unchallenged).

So they asked people to spot the counterfeits (on a "which of
these two is counterfeit" basis) and apparently almost no-one
got it. This surprises me, I am confident that I could tell a
counterfeit note if I was asked to look (unless it was so good
that the bank would be fooled) but TBH I doubt that I'd notice
if I got one in my change as I just don't have the time (or the
courage) to check every note that the cashier gives me.

BTW probably the best way to tell a 'real' note is to look
for the 'two-tone' ink used on the 50s and above. I suspect
that this is beyond the counterfeiters (or perhaps, is not cost
effective)

tim

http://www.euro.ecb.int/

- http://www.euro.ecb.int/en/section/recog.html