Old November 11th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Arwel Parry

Default Counterfeit Euro detection

In message , Thomas Peel
writes

tim schrieb:
I suspect
that this is beyond the counterfeiters (or perhaps, is not cost
effective)

tim

One problem is that, because the contracts to print notes had to be
divided between all the countries for political reasons, the security
measures used in the banknotes had to be reduced to a subset that all
the printers could handle technically.

I don't think so -- I got the impression that they tried pretty much to
get every anti-counterfeit technique that all the countries used in
their own notes. Consider -
- the feel of the paper
- the watermark
- the watermark barcode which identifies the value of the note
- the metal strip
- the part-printing of the design on the two sides of the top corner so
you only see the whole value when it's held to the light (and requires
that the two sides be printed in perfect register)
- the ultraviolet fluorescence
- the holograms on all the notes
- the optically-varying ink on the higher values
- microprinting
- the checksum on the serial numbers

The only trick I've seen which wasn't used on the euro was printing the
serial number with variable sized numbers, as is done on Czech and some
Scottish notes.

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/