Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Europe motoring atlas recommendations sought

On 2009-03-30 23:08:19 -0500, Alan S said:

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 21:55:13 -0500, Dan Stephenson
wrote:

Hello, I am planning a long trip in Europe by car, and I would like
your recommendations for a motoring atlas. Actually, several. I will
at least travel in Germany, north through Norway all the way to the
end, back down and through Switzerland, Italy, and everywhere in
Greece. I intend to visit France too, particularly Brittany for the
megalithic stuff there. It will be a long trip.

I am most familiar with the Michelins, and I liked the Great Britain
and Ireland atlas because it had symbols for methalithics and other
ruins like castles and abbeys. I am using the all-Europe atlas for
planning purposes, but it is too high-level for on-the-road navigation.

I do not want to use a navigation computer.

I used a huge fold-out when I went to Sicily, that I bought when I was
over there.

Maybe I should do the same, this time? It's just that by getting all
the atlases in advance, I can mark up all the must-see sights right on
the map I'll use to get around.

I also like scenic drives, and the Michelins mark what _they_ think
qualify as scenic, with a green line alongside the road. Any other
atlas do something like that?

Please share your thoughts on this important topic!

For Germany I found the A4-sized Shell book map to be
excellent; should be available at any Shell service station
in Germany.

For the others I tended to drop in on the first appropriate
sales place, usually a service station, as soon as I crossed
the border and choose the best on offer there. That's also a
good time to buy vignettes for travelling on motorways if
needed.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

That sounds like a good idea. Does the Shell include sightseeing
markings like "castle here" or "scenic view here"? Does it have any
indication if the roadway is particularly scenic?

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos, movies, panos from the Europe, USA, plus N.Z.:

(remove nospam from email address to reply via email)