Old April 9th, 2007, 10:11 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Ned Abell

Default What to bring to South Africa

In article ,
Liz Leyden wrote:
In message
"Marc Lurie"
wrote:

I also absolutely agree with Michael. Candy is the worst
thing that tourists (or anyone for that matter) should
dish out. It might make YOU feel good, but the kid is
going to suffer in the long run.

I also agree with Michael that donations to local
organisations would be a far better way to make a
contribution. Local church groups, feeding schemes,
literacy schemes, AIDS awareness and support groups, etc.
etc. etc. all know exactly where they need to spend money.

There are loads of opportunities for tourists to visit
communities and make a difference. A regular contributor
to this NG is Kurt. He's based in Cape Town, and would
know who to get in touch with down there.

I agree totally with Michael, Marc etc. There is no point
in handing out gifts willy-nilly to children, but a real
value in supporting long-term development groups.

Can I suggest Room to Read
www.roomtoread.org/countries/south_africa.html which I can
vouch for as a charity we have supported in Morocco which has
impeccable credentials

--
besters
Ned